Just a photo a day -- journaling my everyday life. A fun way to be expressive and creative while documenting moments in time.
Sunday, January 30, 2011
1-27-2011 Grandma's Quilt
This is my favorite quilt. I received it from my Grandma C. in 2000 and I used it all the time. It was the first blanket my kids grabbed when we would snuggle and I enjoyed it's comfort many a nights on my bed. Now it is worn thin and shows in wear. I decided to retire my old red quilt so I can hang on to it's loveliness for a long time to come.
Since I have started quilting, I realize the true love behind one of these quilts. Parts of me are sad that I used it so much and feel bad that it is so brittle. But then I think, that Grandma would have been glad that I didn't stick it in a closet somewhere to "preserve it". She would have been glad that it gave me so much warmth and comfort.
I should say my red quilt is Semi-retired because I still use it on days when I can use a little cheer. The small detailed hand stitching hypnotizes me and I wonder about her thoughts and prayers as she worked to make her quilts. I day dream when I work on my quilts too. I wonder who will stay warm and who will find comfort under my heart's work?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this Sue. It's so touching. My mom tells me all the time, use the blankets I make for you guys. Do not let them sit somewhere being afraid to use them. I made them to be used. I'm sure your Grandma probably would have said the same thing about your quilt.
ReplyDelete